Why be happy? Why not?
Why today? Life’s too short to wait for tomorrow.
Why 25 ways? That was how many I could think of.
How? – pick any idea from the list and do it today. Feel happier. If you feel bold, pick more than one!
1. Take care of yourself – savour your shower, shave (if appropriate), moisturise, deoderize, wear that perfume or cologne (don’t overdo it unless you want space on the Tube). Take care of yourself – because you’re worth it.
2. Dress the part – spruce yourself up and choose an outfit that makes you look and feel great. When you look your best, you’ll feel your best.
3. Choose your head for the day – which head will you choose? The happy one, the grumpy one, the angry one, the peaceful one? Your choice will determine your day.
4. Smile – smile and the whole world smiles back – grimace and you’ll end up stepping in dog poo.
5. Take 10 minutes to do nothing – go on, it feels great – just space out and enjoy yourself.
6. Do one thing from your sh!t list – you know those little things that are driving you nuts – do just one of them. Feel the weight come off.
7. Commit a random act of kindness – whether someone needs help or not
8. Give yourself a break – at some point today you’ll probably start giving yourself a hard time. Stop and apologize.
9. Slow down – try being the tortoise for a change. Try walking half a pace slower, stopping to smell the flowers, looking more closely at the world around you.
10. Turn off email and your mobile for an hour – the world might collapse into a fiery ball… or nothing will happen. Let them wait.
11. Organise some “spontaneous planned fun” – treat yourself or somebody you know to dinner, a massage, a walk in the park, some quality time.
12. Call someone you haven’t spoken to for a while – preferably someone you like
13. Buy treats for your office / team / colleagues – you have to live with them every day so bribe them to be nice with cake.
14. Stick your favourite up-tempo tune on the stereo at high volume – dance around the living room like a nutter (note to emos – feel free to sway instead)
15. Spend a little time outside – sit in the park at lunchtime, have a picnic, take a walk
16. Stretch yourself – try something new, take on that scary dream you’ve been meaning to start, face up to a fear
17. Make time for someone special – let them know how much you care
18. Take a TV sabbatical – it will forgive you and still be there for you tomorrow (this one goes for video games and the internet too)
19. Daydream – if you’re so inclined, let your mind wander for a while and enjoy it.
20. Set a new goal – it’s exciting to start something new – use 43 things to tell the world about it.
21. Plan a vacation – what kind of break are you craving and where would you like to go? Make it happen.
22. Exercise – we have endorphins for a reason, so appreciate them
23. Get creative - Draw / Paint / Sculpt / Write / Photograph / Dance / Express yourself
24. Count your blessings – take a minute to be grateful for your life
25. Come up with your own plan – this is the best rule of all. What is the thing you’d most like to do today?
It’s not too much to ask and you owe it to yourself. Have a great day.
Penny for your thoughts
How did you make today a happier day? Please leave a comment or pass this along to your friends.
If these suggestions helped to make your day, please sign up to get regular updates from Less Ordinary Living:
Photo credit : Lel4nd (Flickr Creative Commons)